Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Inaugural Post

I have been saving the inaugural post of this blog for a major event. I have plenty of major events coming up in my life; my PhD dissertation defense, graduation, a new baby, an imminent move. All of them beautiful blog fodder. But, today, something happened that destroyed all of my patience and drove me to blog prematurely.

That's right, boys and girls. I knit while I walked to work. It's 3.5 miles that have been giving me a lot of trouble during the third trimester because my hands swell painfully while I walk. I feel silly just walking with them held in the air like a surgeon that's just scrubbed in, so I've been trying to think of something to do with them. Last night, a KnitPicks order arrived, bringing sock yarn!

Now, this sock yarn is destined to be my first (Fourth? Who told you fourth? Dirty liars) pair of socks. It's merino and terribly soft and I spent all night winding it into a ball, prompting my mom to threaten me, once again, with a ball winder. These socks, once I've helped them realize their glory, are for my husband. Apparently my ploy of turning the heat off all winter, while he wasn't looking, has worked as he's agreed that it might be nice to have some thick, hand knit socks after all.

No comments: