Saturday, June 16, 2007

Experiments with Kool Aid




I've finished my first project with self dyed yarn! Well, if you call one sock finished, that is. A Jaywalker in the neon stripes resulting from Strawberry, Lemon-Lime and Grape self striping sock yarn. There were two handy tutorials: Eunny Jang's and at Streets and YOs to which I made some modifications that made it about ten times more difficult. If you're going to try this at home, I highly recommend tying it off in a long skein before soaking it in dye. I made some initial attempts at this, but my house was crowded with family in town and a very interested 2 year old, so I decided to skip it because of the cramped space. Instead, I spent hours untangling it. I can say that the Knit Picks 70% Merino and 30% silk blend that I used stood up well to all the tugging and rolling involved in the untangling.


The colors have turned out to be very bright, brighter than I care for. I may try overdying the lot, once I get the pair finished









If you want to see more pictures, try my flicker site.









And, the second sock is already cast on, I promise. We're heading up to Estes Park today for the wool fest and hopefully I'll be able to finish it on the ride!

No comments: