Friday, August 3, 2007

Retconning

I have discovered a new verb (and, no, it's not Kinnearing, though I do enjoy that one, as well). Retconning. I was reading a wikipedia article (I won't tell you which one, because you'll laugh and it would definitely be of the laughing at me variety) and stumbled across it. It represents all that I love and hate about sci fi and TV. I love continuity. I love when the writers toss out a bone to loyal fans who have been watching forever, like the early reference to Vaughn's dad's watch in Alias (end of Season 3... I'll find a link). I like that writer's realize you can have fans who pay attention, care and remember crap like that. Then I hate that they think they can just change it all, so it looks like continuity, but isn't what went before (like Amidala dying in childbirth at the end of the travesties, though Leia says she can remember her mother during Return of the Jedi).

Just a minor rant!

Oh, and I have new sock yarn coming in the mail. See, there's some knitterly content.

P.S. For those of you who haven't read the He-Man article on wikipedia, retconning refers to retroactive continuity.

P.P.S. What? He was cool when I was 6.

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

Yay, knitting content! And double-yay for writers who respect their audiences. And He-man is still cool, just in a very retro sort of way. So there!