Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Time Machine Tuesday: The Afghan



Alli found a neat idea, and I'm totally going to copy it. In the knitting tenses, present and future get the most attention on blogs. But the past can tell us how our projects hold up over time. Part of why I love knitting is that I'm creating something useful, something to wear or keep warm.

This was my first major project. It's an afghan that I crocheted while studying abroad in Europe in the spring of 1998. I bought the yarn (Lion Brand Wool Ease) at Juneau's Fred Meyer (it was the only place in town to buy yarn at the time) before I left and started it on the flight to London. I crocheted on planes, trains, taxis, in hotel rooms, hostels, buses, subways and even the Chunnel. The squares (25 of them) were super portable, and I sewed them together once I got back to Juneau.

It's not the prettiest or the fanciest thing that I've ever made, but it's probably the most used. It has made it through every move, been on every couch or futon I've ever had and been snuggled by all my cats and both of my kids. It's warm and washable (see cats and kids, above). It's hard to get a good picture of it, because in February, someone's usually snuggled up in it.

No comments: