Thursday, March 6, 2008

Phoebe: 1999-2008



Last weekend we lost a member of our family. Phoebe took suddenly ill and, on Saturday, she left us.

Phoebe started life in Haines but, after a brief stay at the human society (where we met) she has been with me. She lived in Oregon while I was in college, moved out to Chicago with me, then to Colorado for graduate school and finally out here to Pennsylvania. She even took a vacation with us to New Mexico. She traveled plane, moving truck, Civic and even on the ferry between Juneau and Bellingham. Despite this, traveling was not her favorite thing. Her favorite things were snuggling with me while I read, laying on my head while I slept and chewing yarn. And food. She was crazy for food. Cat food, cat treats, tuna, milk and, though I know cats don't have sweet taste receptors, jam and tomato sauce. She would eat the peanut butter and jelly right out of your sandwich if you left it unattended. Just a few weeks ago she and Brenna shared a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

She may have resented the kids, as their arrival meant less time for her and me. So, at the end, it was just her and me and the vet. We said our good byes and then her pain was gone. I can't tell you how much I miss her, so I won't try. Thank you for reading this.

3 comments:

Scrabblequeen said...

Sorry for your loss...treasure your memories for now.

tiennie said...

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Amelia said...

Rest in peace, Phoebe. :(