Monday, June 30, 2008

Cheapest Skein Winder

I am cheap. This is not to say that I don't occasionally splurge, or understand the value of quality things. There are those things which it is sometimes necessary to spend more if you want to get more, like bras, running shoes or coffee. But, if I can figure out a way to do something for a bargain, I am thrilled.

Lately, I've been wanting a skein winder. I have a swift, but it's set up in the basement and hard to use without someone else to watch the kids. And, I've really been wanting two skein winders, to help split up the sock blank yarn from last week. If you don't remember, I wrapped the yarn around two plastic toy bin lids to create skeins. However, these small skeins wouldn't turn on my swift when I tried to wind them into a center pull ball. Plus, I considered over dying some of these skeins in different sections, and these skeins were too short for that, too.

My solution:
Ikea toy bin

That's the toy bin that the lid came from. But, when wrapping the yarn around the outside, it makes a much bigger skein (almost exactly 4' in circumference). The bins are on wheels, so it was easy to just sit there and spin the bin around, letting the yarn wind. It's not as fancy as an electric one, but this one runs about $5 at ikea. The best news is, if you don't have toys in yours (like I do) you can always use it to store yarn.

1 comment:

Suzy Girl said...

Very clever! I'm a McGuyver kind of girl myself.