Monday, January 19, 2009

In which lace knitting fails as a warding against sickness


This weekend was a blur of temperatures, Tylenol, juice and kids' movies. Now that the weekend is over, the small ones seem to have pulled through. Last night they had both fallen asleep, and Will and I enjoyed some quiet time together, which we don't get that often any more. I celebrated by working on this lovely blue scarf with a mouthful of a name. With each stitch, I gave a wish for the cleverness of my own immune system, hoping to wake up with only the residuals of our Christmas cold and no additional yuckiness.

No joy.

So, while I sit here with my coffee and cough drops, I'll give you a few notes on the pattern. This is my 4th VLT project (though the 3rd is still on the needles). The first two were stole/shawl patterns and these last two have been scarves. Though I didn't find any errata for either of them, I found that the directionality of the decreases in the chart doesn't always match the pictures of the scarves. I've substituted ssks for the appropriate k2togs and would encourage others to do the same.

This scarf is a KAL with my friend Tika (Go read her blog. There are pretty pictures). The yarn is knit picks gloss lace, and I'm not in love with it yet. I'm not sure if it's the silk content but it feels almost... crunchy? I'm hoping it blocks out nicer than it feels. Then again, I didn't love the gloss sock yarn, so if you like that, you'll probably like this.

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

The silk makes it a little crunchy. It should rinse out and soften up - in theory. You're way further along on your scarf than I am - maybe I'll work on it today. :D