Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mystery Yarn Sweater


My mom sent a box of yarn a few months ago, most of which will be repurposed for other knitters, but a few things intrigued me. One was a bag (from the Acorn Street Yarn shop in Seattle) with 6 100g skeins of worsted weight yarn, all bereft of labels (2 maroon, 1 pumpkin, 1 cream and 1 celadon). The colors were great and the kids needed some warm things, so I dived in. One of the things that the little dude needed was a sweater.

This was the sweater that made me swear off seaming. Not that the seaming was difficult, but it took more attention and more time (mostly in procrastination) than the knitting itself. The pattern is (mostly) from Ann Budd's Handy Sweater Book, with a seed stitch edge. It's nothing fancy, but he wears it at least three times a week.

I have thrown it into the wash without any felting. In fact, it softened up quite a bit. This makes me suspect acrylic. Further browsing around ravelry and the Acorn's website makes me further select Plymouth Encore. Whatever the yarn, it was actually really pleasant to work with and has washed up beautifully!

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

How did you know it was "celadon" if you didn't have a label? WTF kind of color IS celadon anyway? I study art and even *I* don't know what that is. I suspect celery-style green.

Your little man is making a face that reminds me of the ones we used to make in Metzgar's class behind his back.