Thursday, January 15, 2009

Selbu Cuffed Mitts


Today brings you another improvised pattern on my part. These mitts were inspired by several things. I have been testing out several sport weight yarns in preparation for knitting up some sweaters that I can't get off my mind (Tangled Yoke, Ropes and Picots, Salina). I like to feel a yarn in a smaller project, plus mitts (and hats) serve as useful gauge swatches!

This was my first test of the Telemark, which I liked way more that I thought I would. I have yet to wear the gloves much, but it was actually quite fun to knit with. The stitch definition is wonderful, so I think I might use it for the Ropes and Picots. The stitch definition is so good, that I might actually use the backs of these mitts for my first attempts at embroidering on knitting! IK 2008 holiday issue has a great article on it, so that's my plan.

The second inspiration was Terri Shea's Selbuvotter knitting book. My current obsession with sport weight yarn has preempted any immediate casting on from this book (which was another birthday present to myself) but I couldn't resist throwing a chart from this book into the pattern. I haven't included the chart in the pattern (because it's hers), but if you have the book, it's on page 100. If you don't have the book, it's a 10 repeat pattern, so you could substitute another chart, work it in solid color or make up your own star pattern.

The last inspiration was Kate Gilbert's 'Gifted', which has a great idea for using a crochet hook on a thumb flap so that you don't have to pick up the thumb stitches later. Seriously, this woman is a genius.

Knit Picks Telemark in Squirrel Heather (main color) and Fjord Heather (contrasting)
6 sts/inch on size 4 needles

CO 40 sts in MC.
Row 1: K1P1
Row 2: Knit
Rows 3-11: Work Chart B on page 65 of Selbuvotter book (or another star pattern of your choice).
Row 12: Knit
Row 13: K1P1
Row 14: Purl
Row 15: Knit

Start Thumb gusset:
Row 16: M1R, k1, M1L, place marker. Knit to end of row.
Row 17: Knit.
Row 18 (inc row): M1R, knit to marker, m1L, slip marker, knit to end of row.
Row 19: Knit.
Repeat rows 18 and 19, increasing every other row, until there are 7 sts in the gusset. Then switch to increasing every 3rd row.
Work until 17 sts are in the gusset. Switch to working back and forth on these 17 sts, leaving the hand sts on the needles.
Work 8 rows even in stockinette. Work a row in k1p1, work a WS row in purl, then bind off, leaving the last st on the needle.
Transfer this stitch to a crochet hook. Crochet the edges of the thumb flap together, creating a crocheted seam. Transfer live stitch to circular needles and begin working in the round again, for the hand of the mitt.

No comments: