Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Homemade Tortillas Are easier than you think!


There are many reasons why we have tried to eat out less in the past year. It's more affordable, it's easier with the kids and involves less driving. We still haven't gotten to know many restaurants in our area, and there really aren't many Mexican ones. We both love to cook, so we mostly eat out just to avoid clean up. Not that I'm home more, this is less of an issue. Lastly, there are certain things that I've been trying to avoid since I started eating more heathily, including processed grains and transfats.

When I found transfats in the tortillas that we usually buy, I knew there had to be a better way. The results? Homemade tortillas! And you know what? They were super, incredibly easy. Even my husband, who looks with a dubious eye on all my healthy, South Beach inspired cooking, loved them and won't go back to store bought. I got the recipes here, because it was the only one I could find that didn't call for lard or shortening. It's not as authentic, but I don't have either in the house, so olive oil it is! I also used the King Arthur brand White Whole Wheat flour, which I discovered through the great blog, Kalyn's Kitchen (the actual entry is here). This blog is seriously fabulous. It has made low glycemic index eating totally easy and fun, and one of the main reasons I've been able to lose 100 pounds.

These tortillas starred in chicken tacos for lunch, and homemade enchiladas for dinner. I'll be making them again next week! I might even be making tortilla soup again.

There has been knitting, but it has been a) frustrating and b) super secret, because I'm thinking of submitting it as a design!

2 comments:

Kalyn said...

I'm impressed! I haven't tried making my own tortillas but now I'm thinking it's something I should try!

Tikabelle said...

A HUNDRED POUNDS? Holy shit, girl, congratulations! That's amazing. ::hug!::