Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Manly Silver Scarf

My husband has been without a scarf for nearly as long as I've known him. Colorado, despite what many believe, doesn't get that cold. It probably does up at the ski resorts, but not down where we lived, so it wasn't much of an issue. The colder Pennsylvania winters have made this lack of scarf more of a problem. It was also a silly problem to have, as I am a compulsive knitter.

It all came to a head as I was speed Christmas shopping in Target (while he sat in the car with napping kids). I spent a good 5 minutes looking through the clearance cashmere scarves and had what could only be called a crisis of conscience. I knew he would like cashmere. I knew he would like a scarf. I believe Christmas presents should be about what the receiver wants, not what the giver wants to give, so I don't often give handknits. Should I buy him one, despite my ability to make him one that I believed was superior? Ability doesn't equal reality and, meanwhile, his neck was cold. I'm sure I looked like an idiot, just standing in front of these scarves. In the end, I left them there and promised to make him one. (By the way, they were also out of the Boba Fett helmet mugs. It was not a productive shopping trip).

I confessed all of this to him and, when he was done laughing at how much stress I had built up, he said these lovely words; "Honey, do you have time to look at ravelry with me?"

We queued up several patterns that caught his eye, and here is ths first (free ravelry download)! It's the What a Mighty Good Manly Scarf, in reference to a great song. The final project had half the number of sts in width, as per his preferences, which also made it a much faster knit.

The yarn is Elegance, of which I have a great deal left over from my first sweater, and so this is part of my big Stash Bust '09. Not a major part, but there is more to come!

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

Very handsome!

I, too, will be stashbusting in '09, but not until June when the student loans kick in. At that point my yarn-buying will go down sharply, so I'm collecting madly in anticipation. Kind of like letting a camel drink for an hour before it sets out through the desert...