Monday, March 9, 2009

Slaying the Cashmere Beast

Two years ago I wanted to knit an adult sized sweater. As my then-size was measured in trimesters, I did not want to knit for myself. So, I moved on to the next most-forgiving sweater recipient and pestered my husband with questions about what kind of sweater he would love. Then I found this on sale, and knew it would be perfect.

There was some weirdness with the ordering, and I didn't get my order notification within a few days. Within those same days, he changed his mind and and I got the yarn that eventually became this. The other yarn came, too, and I held onto it because it was so yummy.

About a year ago, I wanted a nice, bulky sweater for myself. So I did this:

That's a sweater yoke. A huge, enormous sweater yoke. I cast on some stitches, knit color work based loosely on Veronik Avery's Ski Jacket, then took it off the needles to block and check size. It was slightly in excess of 50 inches, was gave me some positive ease. The yarn is heavy, very heavy, and doesn't have a lot of memory. The drape is great, but it expanded largely after blocking, especially at the size that I had aimed for.

I knit the body most of the way down, then tried to knit the sleeves. The sweater was just to heavy, so I made another bad decision. I knitted the sleeves from the cuff up and tried to graft them on. After my first attempt, it was already too warm to work on it much so I was happy to put it in a box.

Since this stashbusting has been about owning up to all my boxes of yarn an d abandoned projects, however, this Cashmere Beast has been looming on my yarn horizon, a major hurdle standing between me and a spinning wheel. I pulled it out of the box and realized that, between my gauge stretching immensely due to weight of the yarn, and my own weight loss, I had approximately 14 inches of negative ease. In other words, it didn't fit. At all.

Up next? How I conquered this Cashmere Beast.

ETA: Fixing my craptastic ease mistake. Thanks Tika!

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

Ahhh, the Beast. I have one of those, but mine is not made of Cashmere. :D

Do you mean positive ease? Positive ease = too big, negative ease = too small. I'm pretty sure that even at your most fluffy, you weren't a 50" yoke girl...