Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fancy Foods

A new, fancy Whole Foods market opened up in our neck of the woods yesterday, so the fam and I went to check it out. It was great, if crowded. I raided the Bob's Red Mill section for my reawakened interest in bread-baking. I saw some produce I had read about, but not seen. I picked up some pearl barley and squash for soups. I picked up two spices I hadn't been able to track down elsewhere (Sumac and Za'tar, if you're interested).

In other news, I racked up another soup! My favorite food blogger, Kalyn, had posted a great sounding recipe for West African Chicken and Peanut Stew. And, it was great! I made a few mods. While I bought a rotisserie chicken this weekend, there was hardly any left, so I augmented the chicken content with a couple of chicken breasts. I used a whole yellow onion, pickled ginger (the sushi kind), and red pepper flakes because that's what I had. I also gave the whole thing a few pulses with my stick blender before adding the chicken, because I was totally lazy with my dicing. All in all, it had a wonderful fruity flavor, with plenty of kick.

And, for some fiber-related content... I'm plying my 2nd yarn! It's beauuuutiful. I can't wait to show it to you all.

2 comments:

Tikabelle said...

Yay, sumac! It's one of my favorite non-traditional (well, in the west, at least...) spices. Gigi bought me a big jar of it and was shocked to hear that I COOK with it. Apparently Persians only sprinkle it on food. Weird.

Have you started your Stonington Shawl yet? I can't stop thinking about making one, but I'm requiring myself to finish 2 projects first. I'm about 1/2 done with my second Citron and 25% into a pair of no-purl monkey socks, so I'm hoping to have my needles free sometime next week. :D

Yay for spinning yarn!

Dragonsabre said...

I did like how the sumac label says something along the lines of "THIS IS NOT POISONOUS" :)