Monday, January 11, 2010

Minestrone

Broth based soups. I love them, but I rarely buy them at the store or get them when I go out. Why? Celery.

Let's talk a minute about taste. If you can taste something, it's because a molecule from that food bound to the appropriate receptor in your body. Very science-y sounding, but stick with me. For most people, celery has a pretty mild taste. Some of us, however, know celery's true secret. It's full of nasty, bitter, aversive flavors. Thus, it's up to me to make all my soups without celery. Without further lecturing, here's a celery-free minestrone recipe that I made last weekend.

Minestrone sans celery
most of a head of cabbage, chopped and sauteed
2 onions, chopped and sauteed
3 tbs garlic salt (more to taste)
2/4 c parmesan
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed and kind of squished

Throw in a slow cooker and let it go until the smell is so good you have to eat it :) For lunch, I usually have it with some leftover grilled chicken or turkey sausage.

P.S. You can add celery if you're not a super-taster.

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

I LOVE THIS. And I HATE celery. I don't mind it raw (although it's not my favorite), but cooked it is BLECH.

Yay for celery-free soup! I usually substitute a traditional mirepoix for the Spanish version: garlic, carrots, and white onions; it seems to work pretty well.