Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Skinny on my Merino

I can tell you (though you may not need me too) that a pound is a lot of fiber. The dying that took place here went quite well and I've begun spinning it up!  My control is getting much better, the singles are getting much finer and.. it's taking much longer to fill up a bobbin!  I had planned on filling this bobbin, then another, then plying, but I took it off when it was only half full so that I could ply earlier.  It's very fine and I'm curious how the plying will go.  Unfortunately, it'll probably be at least a week before I get enough on the 2nd bobbin to find out.It needs to hurry, because I ordered by first fiber off of etsy and am dying to try that, too!

IMG_5350

IMG_5349

And I've finally cast on with my qiviut. The pattern is the North Star Scarf fron Arctic Lace.  The yarn is ridiculously soft - you can even see how fuzzy it is in the picture.  But, it's not itchy.  At all.  Not like alpaca, which mostly scratches me if it looks this fuzzy.  The pattern calls for 9 repeats of the star pattern, but every time I pick it up, 'eight stars of gold on a field of blue..." starts up in my head and I can't stop.  I'm going to assess the length at 8 and see if it's long enough.



IMG_5353

In other news, I made the bestest, barleyest soup ever and am wildly in love with this new to me whole grain. Want to eat it all the time. I've still got 2 soups to go for my goal, but I've narrowed my reward down to 2 possible cookbooks.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Wow. Very nice. I don't spin but the spinners I know all have much larger single plys. Pretty color as well.
~Kathy

veejayemm said...

B,
I just saw a recipe for Celery Soup. Want me to send it to you????
V