Monday, March 8, 2010

Blue Cheese and Cherry Meatloaf

Life has been busy, as evidenced by a lack of blogging and ravelry posting.  A less obvious consequence (at least to you, dear readers) has been an utter lack of originality in the kitchen.  Last week, I grabbed hold of the reins of my life and pulled it back in a bit.  This involved cookbooks from the library, one of our favorite weeknight pastimes.

Bleu Cheese and Dried Cherry meatloaf is what ultimately happened, and I can't rave about it enough.  The idea is from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow, but can be found on her blog here (but I added more stuff).  The technique is from the 2009 Best Recipes book from America's Test Kitchen.  Basically, it's a freeform loaf rather than in a pan and it turned out great.  You put a wire rack on a cookie sheet, jellyroll pan, whatever you've got.  Then you toss some tin foil on top of the rack and perforate it in a couple places.  I have no pictures, because it was devoured as soon as it came out of the oven.  Also, the mix of ground meats really helped the flavor and texture.  I used to be a fan of all beef meatloaf, but this was waay better.

Meatloaf Base:
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 egg
1/4 c oat flour (just oats in the food processor for a few seconds)
garlic salt, basil, dried onion, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce

I actually made a double batch of the above ingredients, then split the result in half.  Burgers are on the menu for the rest of the base. 

Now add:
1 package of blue cheese (I think it may have been 5 oz)
1 c dried cherries.  I think this was a scant cup, because 2 year old kept nicking cherries out of the measuring cup while I wasn't watching

Mix.  Squish with your hands, because it's really the best way to get it all incorporated.  Shape into a general ball-form, and toss it onto your foil contraption.

Bake at 375 for 55-65 minutes.

No comments: