Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Too Hot for Handspun

What did you do for Easter?  I finished up a cozy wool sweater just in time for 70 degree weather.

IMG_5883

This is me standing in front of my house, trying to look like I'm not baking in my new Handspun Garter Yoke cardigan.  I followed the pattern pretty closely, though I used a dk weight yarn, rather than worsted.  I followed the stitch counts for the large size and it came out, after blocking, to be a small or xs.  I had knit an adult sweater from the Swish DK before, and knew that it would probably grow quite a bit, so I planned accordingly.  It did not disappoint!
IMG_5885

I love the way the handspun looks with the grey Swish DK,but Will refers to this as my Wesley Crusher sweater.  Which isn't too bad, as far as geek chic goes :)

I knit buttonholes into it, but now am thinking I'd like to try a separating zipper instead.  The sweater has actually been put away due to our warm weather, but I think I'll put in a zipper before next winter.  The sweater is a bit oversized, and comes in at 1039 yds, bumping up my 12 mile quest quite a bit!

In other news, I'm still up in the air about attending Maryland Sheep and Wool.  I priced out some really reasonable hotels in the area, but can't bring myself to make a reservation.  Every time I come close, my mind formulates a list of how many beautifully dyed batts I could buy off of Etsy for the same price...

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

I love it! Great color on you. I wish I could wear that grey! But just LOOK at how awesome your spinning is!! I've never knitted mine into a wearable garment. Way to go, you!

I think you should wait on MS&W. If it's not the Right Time, it won't be as amazing an experience as you want it to be. Also, I'm not going this year. Once I've got a job teaching, maybe we could plan a celebration trip! Then the hotel would be half as much, which means Etsy batts AND MS&W. :D