Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dyeing; Faux, Real

As a relative newbie, I find myself ogling all sorts of spinning fibers available online yet completely unsure as to my ability to turn it into a knittable yarn.  I'll google it, read forums, and try to make an educated decision without actually doing it.  But, sometimes you gotta just jump in blindly with both feet.
DSC00737
This is 8 oz of faux cashmere from Paradise Fibers in Spokane.  For less than $2 an ounce, it was a pretty safe jump!

Now, I know even less about dying fiber than I do about spinning it, but I just tossed the whole mess into a pot of vinegar water, soaked for a bit, and started adding some concentrated dye solutions.  Jacquard Acid dyes in Spruce, Chartreuse, and Chestnut, if you're curious.  At first it sucked, then I threw it in again and stirred it around a little more, and was finally happy with it!  I even braided it up myself, once it was dry, and it looks all fancy.

I love it :)  I did fewer happy dances in the living room than I did for the little zipper bag, but I will admit to a few.  And I pet it, occasionally.  I think it might have bumped itself to the top of the queue.  Now if I could only get the current thing plied...

1 comment:

Jacey said...

Great dye job! Faux cashmere, huh? It should be interesting to spin.