Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tour de Fleece 2010

Do you remember those woven, cotton, fringed-edge blankets that were huge in the late 90s?  You could get picture, just about any, on a cozy large blanket.  That was back in my vegetarian days (and Birks, too!) and my mom got me one with cool veggie pictures on it.  I've carted my veggie blanket all over the States as I move, and it's held up pretty well though it occasionally loses a string or two.

Which brings me to this morning.  I had set up my wheel and fiber last night to be ready to go this morning.  I woke up, got my coffee, sat down to spin and saw that my brake band was broken.  And I didn't have an extra.  I don't have much in the way of cotton around here, so I was nearly broken hearted.  Until I saw the long thread hanging off of the edge of the veggie blanket.

Saved for Tour de Fleece!   I drooled over everyone's beautiful spinning last year.  This year, I get to play!

DSC00694

Goals:
1. Spin and ply the 116g of cashmere blend, on the high speed flyer, for a laceweight.
2. Spin every day of the race, except the rest day

Teams:
Rookie
Corgi Hill Farm

See you at the finish line!

1 comment:

Tikabelle said...

Wooo! So far I've spun all three days of the TdF. We can totally do it this year!

And I have one of those blankets, too. My stepmom got me one that has a Mary Englebreit picture on it. It's so STURDY! And clearly, handy. :D

I used kite string for a new brake band in addition to my fabulous tensioned Kate. It's super-cheap and works quite well. We're so clever!