Tuesday, November 2, 2010

To cowl or not to cowl?

Last week, as I was waiting for the train and trying to arrange my scarf tightly enough to keep my neck warm but not so tight as to choke me, I had a revelation.

I want a cowl.

I figure, as a knitter, I could make this happen.  Then the following conversation occured:

Doubting self: "A cowl.  Really?  But we hate turtlenecks, tight scarves, and anything that rubs on our neck."

Excited self: "But totally!  A cowl!  We won't have to fuss with tucking in ends.  And we've never, ever knit one!"

Doubting self:  "We've never knit a tea cozy either.  Or a doily."

Excited self:  "Doilies are crochet.  And our neck is coooooold!  C'mon.  It would count for 10 Shawls in 2010.  We just wound a ball of Sea Silk...."

Doubting self: "Oh, the Sea Silk is nice.  And I never thought we'd make it through 10 shawls..."

Excited self: "We can do it!  I know we can!"

Doubting self:  "Don't push it.  You sound like a cheerleader.  We are not a cheerleader."

Excited self:  "Let's just check ravelry for a good idea tonight."

And there I discovered wisp (along with 2963 other people).  A shawl, with buttons to convert to a long cowl.  Or hooded scarf (see obsession from my last entry).  With an easy stitch pattern!

Several days later...

DSC01828

It's practically knitting itself! Take that, Doubting Self!

2 comments:

Jacey said...

Yay, Brie (I hope that doesn't count as cheerleading...)! You've made it a lot farther than me in the 10shawls in 2010 KAL. Your new cowl is coming out very nicely.

thejitteryknitter said...

I love the "conversation" you had with yourself I have those all the time and than I think it can't hurt to just "look" at ravelry....3 hours later me and my doubt have added another project to the needles and another 10 to the queue....bad ravelry lol