Thursday, January 20, 2011

Beginnings with bleu cheese

Reasons I don't food blog:
I have no formal training in cooking (other than a high school Chef class).
It's much easier to take pretty pictures of yarn than food.
I don't really have a niche, culinarily speaking.  I'm all over the place.
I'm unclear about the copyright issues about adapting other people's recipes.  


Reasons why I might start:
I love cooking.
I cook a lot.
I love the food I make.  I think other people might like it, too.
I like to make things from scratch, because I like to know everything that's in my food.  I'm a compulsive label-reader.  Many things are much easier to make than you would think!
I am far behind in my recipe countdown.  I need a new reason to keep adding new recipes!


I think food blogging might be a fun addition.  It's in the spirit of the blog - utilitarian (flannel) but also a bit of elegance and excitement (lace).  In that spirit, here is my lunch today:


DSC02599
Bleu Cheese Coleslaw


Ruby Tuesday recently added bleu cheese coleslaw to their salad bar, and I found myself looking for any reason to go there.  The easier route was to create my own recipe so I could bring this to work for lunch every day.  It livens up leftover chicken, but today I'm splurging and having it with a crab cake!


1/2 c olive oil mayo
1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1/3 c white wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbs mustard
3 c shredded cabbage (1 head)
1 c blue cheese crumbles

I shred my cabbage in a food processor, then toss it in a gallon bag.  You can also buy precut coleslaw mix, if that's easier.  Either way, I mix the whole salad in the bag then leave it there or, more often, split it into single serving jars for taking to work.  You can do it in a bowl if you're feeling more traditionally minded. 

Mix ingredients and refrigerate!

1 comment:

Jacey said...

I think as long as you post the original recipe source and your mods, you're okay. I've thought about food blogging as well, but I like integrating receipes/food pics here and there, as I don't think I could manage more than one blog at the moment. Your cole slaw looks delicious! I'm coming around to bleu cheese, so this might be a bit much for me, but still, it looks delicious.