Monday, January 17, 2011

A Dye-athon!

I've recently reorganized the stash a bit, and was shocked to find that I only had 2 skeins of usable sock yarn.  I had some undyed and some unsatisfactorally dyed sock yarn, but very little usable.  Out came the dye pots, and my house smelled of wet wool for a few days, but this is what we got:

DSC02583
The two at the top are 100g skeins of knit picks Bare base (which I don't even bother to reskein) and each one was overdyed at least 3 times until I was happy.

DSC02585

The two on the bottom are skeined from two sock blanks that sweet pea and I did together.  I love the sock blanks.  I don't presoak as long as directed, and it gives the yarn an almost heathered look.  I did several of these a few tears ago, and made some of my favorite socks out of the yarn (like these ones below).

IMG_2554
My techniques are pretty vague and unmeasured, but I did get a chance to spend more time with my copy of Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece (Amazon or Rav link), which I highly recommend.  I mostly just throw the yarn in a dedeicated pot with a few glugs of vinegar and a smattering of dye, then simmer until I remember its going.  I used Jacquard acid dyes, but I think it would be easier to start with Wilton cake dyes.  There are a good range of colors, and they're food safe.  The book has much more info, including some cool stuff on color theory.

Lastly...
DSC02582
This had been languishing in my stash as a pale sea foam green and grey skein of laceweight.  I overdyed this with chestnut and am much happier.  This will either become Gnarled Oakwoods or Tibetan Clouds stole.

Up tomorrow... How a birthday order at Knit picks enhanced my stash!

1 comment:

Jacey said...

I've never tried a sock blank before, but your results look great! Of course, I'm partial to the skein on the left, the really variegated one. It's right up my alley.

Since I'm on a yarn-purchasing moratorium, I won' be buying any sock blanks this year, but I do have some worsted skeins to dye, hopefully someday soon.