Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grab and Go Veggie and Egg Breakfasts

When I started eating healthier several years ago, breakfast was one of my biggest struggles.  Everyone seemed to agree that eating breakfast was important, but the morning time crunch makes it hard!  Plain cereal just made me more hungry and premade frozen breakfast burritos or biscuits were loaded with all kinds of things I was trying to avoid.

I needed something quick (or premade) and portable that I could eat in the car/train or reheat once I got to work.  Preferably something with vegetables, lots of flavor, and some protein.  I finally worked it out, and thought some of you might be interested!  For those of you interested, these are all Phase I appropriate for the South Beach Diet.  For those of you who don't care, they're just really good.

I make these mostly with frozen broccoli florets, which I buy from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Costco.  I've also made them with frozen Brussel sprouts and fresh broccoli.

A note on the jars:  I use 16 ounce canning jars for this recipe (and many other things).  I think they're beautiful, useful, and the glass is non-reactive and safe at high temperatures which is great for the oven or microwave (unlike plastic).  Also, their lids fit really tightly and I don't have to worry about the food spilling all over my bag on the way to work.  You can see them here.  I found them both at Target (in the kitchen section) and my local grocery store (in the canning section).

DSC02892
Grab and Go Veggie and Egg Breakfasts
Needed Ingredients:
5 heat-proof jars
5 c frozen broccoli (1 cup for each jar)
10 eggs

Optionional Ingredients (to taste):
a) Cheddar cheese and garlic salt
b) Soy sauce, sesame oil, and cashews
c) Garlic, thyme, and a triangle of laughing cow cheese
d) Pepper, thyme, and lemon juice
e) Oregano, garlic, spponful of tomato sauce, and Mozzarella (I often use string cheese)

Make ahead version:
Put jars on cookie sheet and preheat oven to 325F.  Put 1 c of broccoli in each jar,  Put 2 eggs in each jar, and optional ingredients on top.  Bake for about 20 minutes, stpulling out to stir once or twice to get the flavors mixed in.

Hurried, 'that morning' version:
I'll be honest and tell you that this is generally the one that I end up making despite my plans to plan ahead.  Dump broccoli in jar.  Microwave for two minutes.  (Go brush your teeth or start getting dressed!)  Crack in two eggs.  Microwave for two minutes (finish getting dressed!).  Add rest of ingredients, throw on the lid and go!

6 comments:

Becky Durham said...

Brie! Genius! Never thought about using canning jars to cook and transport breakfast. Thanks!

Tikabelle said...

Love it! I bet I could sub spinach for broccoli and it would be equally awesome...

alligator said...

This is a great idea! I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast because I hate having to stop for a big lunch in the middle of the day (it makes me feel tired). I hate having to rush and try to cook my eggs in the morning. I will definitely give this a try.

Do the microwaved eggs really taste okay?

Brie said...

@Tika - spinach works really well, especially with parmesan. Brussel sprouts also work really well, with either parmesan or bleu cheese.
@Alli - They do taste pretty good, and I don't think it's just because of all the garlic salt I use! Sometimes an additional minute can help firm them up a bit, depending on your texture preference.

Let me know what you guys think if you try it!

Jacey said...

Great idea! I'll have to try this.

jayne said...

Are you aware that this made me so hungry that we actually ended up having eggs and broccoli (and hot sauce) for dinner that night? Well, you are now.