Sunday, May 22, 2011

Inishturk: A Lesson in Blocking

At the beginning of last winter, Mr. Book expressed interest in a new handknit sweater. After the planning dust settled, there were two in the works - a monstrously cabled one out of commercially spun yarn, and enough fiber for a simple handspun.

I specifically tracked down a commercially spun BFL, then dyed it grey.  Halfway through the last sleeve, I realized I was going to need more and I carefully dyed a second batch, then alternated 'dyelots' I knit it all up, sewed it together.  Too impatient to wait for blocking, I threw it at him and asked him to try it on.

We both silently cringed when it was too small.  He's been married to a knitter long enough to say something soothing about blocking, then take it off and put it on a shelf.

A month passed and I finally got brave enough to block it (as per my last post).  I couldn't decide whether I'd frog it or keep it myself if it was still too small.

Luckily, the superwash blocked true to form, and it now fits!:

DSC03414

1297 yards of Kickitat from Ashland Bay, dyed with Jacquard Acid Dyes.

DSC03412

The pattern is Inishturk, and free from Lion Brand yarns. It's a drop shoulder, but I changed it to modified drop for a slightly more fitted feel. The pattern was quite easy to follow and has a great, traditional Aran look.  The slightly tonal variations of the kettle dyed yarn is a bit distracting from the cabling, but I'm still pretty happy with it.  More importantly, he loves it.

DSC03411

3 comments:

Beth Stewart said...

Once again, WOW! I think Will could have a great future as a knitwear model. He and the sweater look fabulous!

Tikabelle said...

I LOVE it! I think the semi-solid makes it look even better - a completely solid yarn might have looked store bought. It looks good on him, too - the modified drop was a great choice. And your Dragon Man is as handsome as ever. :D

Jacey said...

Whoa. This sweater is amazing. The fact that you DYED, SPUN and KNIT the whole thing? Seriously incredible.