At the beginning of last winter, Mr. Book expressed interest in a new handknit sweater. After the planning dust settled, there were two in the works - a monstrously cabled one out of commercially spun yarn, and enough fiber for a simple handspun.
I specifically tracked down a commercially spun BFL, then dyed it grey. Halfway through the last sleeve, I realized I was going to need more and I carefully dyed a second batch, then alternated 'dyelots' I knit it all up, sewed it together. Too impatient to wait for blocking, I threw it at him and asked him to try it on.
We both silently cringed when it was too small. He's been married to a knitter long enough to say something soothing about blocking, then take it off and put it on a shelf.
A month passed and I finally got brave enough to block it (as per my last post). I couldn't decide whether I'd frog it or keep it myself if it was still too small.
Luckily, the superwash blocked true to form, and it now fits!:
1297 yards of Kickitat from Ashland Bay, dyed with Jacquard Acid Dyes.
The pattern is Inishturk, and free from Lion Brand yarns. It's a drop shoulder, but I changed it to modified drop for a slightly more fitted feel. The pattern was quite easy to follow and has a great, traditional Aran look. The slightly tonal variations of the kettle dyed yarn is a bit distracting from the cabling, but I'm still pretty happy with it. More importantly, he loves it.