Thursday, July 28, 2011

An Abbreviated Tour

Tour de Fleece ended several days ago.  My mammoth undertaking included four project, looking something like this:
DSC03892

My spinning was cut short by two things.  Firstly, all my running goals were a bit much.  I strained my soleus, developed tendonitis in my ankle, and other problems related to muscle strain and shin splints.  I had doctor's orders to take it easy for several weeks.  Thus, hours of treadling were verboten.  I did, however, manage to treadle my Julia with only one foot.


The second stumbling block was much more pleasant.
IMG_7365
We had a vacation!  There was some 11th hour googling of travel bags for spinning wheels, but I passed at the last minute and left the Julia at home.  There was enough swimming, pizza, and mini-bowling that I barely missed it!


All of that aside, I did manage to squeak out with this:
DSC04076
Spicy Sparkles; 366 yards of 2-ply, and about 100 yards of chain ply of superwash with firestar.  Only a quarter of my goal, but enough to be going on with.  I have no idea what to make with it.  I did, however, try a new technique for spinning batts!  May I present... Faux-lags!

DSC03899

I just unrolled the batt, and gently split away a strip of the fiber.
DSC03897
 Roll them back up, and spin from the top of the roll.

2 comments:

Jacey said...

I hope you're feeling relief from your injury now! Your new handspun is beautiful. Hopefully, you can spin the other lovely fiber sometime soon. Ooh, and the vacation sounds nice! It's great you were able to get away with your family.

Tikabelle said...

Ooo, sparkly! I like it. Our ankles seem to be in weird sync, just like everything else! I rolled mine at derby. Blech. It's a good thing I didn't have a telnet boyfriend in 1996 or I'd be married!
I'm going to apply for that job. Maybe we'll get to hang out all the time!