Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer socks

What do you do when family visits for summer fun?  Other than disappear from the blog?

Make them model socks!
DSC03921
These are 265 yards of plymouth Happy Feet in color 18, knitted in my own plain, toe-up pattern.  My mom got to take this with her as her modeling fee!
DSC03934
These were a gift to a coworker with sufficiently small feet.  They're 269 yards of Knit Picks Chroma, in the New England colorway.  I used the same pattern, as above and below...
DSC03962
These are 291 yards of Koigu.  Unlike the other two, these are already safely tucked away in my sock drawer, awaiting next winter.

All three of these are the same pattern, which brings me to an interesting point...  I apparently like knitting boring socks.  I began this year with an intention of knitting 11 interesting, different sock patterns.  Half of the year is gone, and I am precisely 1 sock + 1 toe into 1 pattern.  And everytime I pick up that toe, I mutter and set it back down.

I think interesting sock patterns are for others.  I've decided, instead, to try different yarns!  Knit picks stroll is my go-to sock yarn, but I'm going to branch out.  What are your favorites?  Which ones have you always been meaning to try?  Make my yarn shopping easier :)  Now opening the forum to suggestions...

1 comment:

April said...

I really like Knit Picks, but I've decided that knitting socks for me...isn't for me. So I knit socks for other people. I've knit a bunch for my husband, and his favorite have been out of Patons Kroy (who would've though?) I also like knitting with Trekking and The March Hare, and have always wanted to try Socks That Rock.