Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Book Commitment.

I don't read fiction as much as I used to. By a lot.

I used to have a 2-3 books a week habit. Mostly fantasy, some sci fi, occasionally a crime procedural or romance. Almost entirely genre fiction.

Now? Maybe 1 a month, if I'm honest. And lucky.

Is it because, as an adult, there are so many other demands on my time? Is it because, as a parent, my little ones interrupt and constantly steal my bookmarks? Is it because, as a smart phone owner, I have developed a shorter attention span?

Whatever the cause, I have a hard time getting engaged in so many books these days.




Tonight I'm reading this: Twelve Kings by Bradley Beaulieu. I've enjoyed some of Mr. Beaulieu's earlier works and I was hoping this one would suck me in just as easily. It hasn't - several chapters in, and I'm debating whether it's worth the time to finish. It feels cinematic, tightly edited, very active... but not engaging.

What books are you reading? Why do you love them? Why are you reading them? Inquiring minds want to know. Because I've committed to reading 16 fiction books in 2016, and I haven't made it off to a good start!

No comments: