Life gets busy. Three kids, (more than) full time job, marathon training busy. But ideas still come - conversations, characters. images. So I find time. And for me, that time is 5 am. It may sound crazy, but here are some of the things I've learned from months in a twitter group with the hasthag #5amwritersclub
- Dragons, jewel heists, and interdimensional graduate students seem less ridiculous at 5 am.
- Scheduling time to meet your muse makes me much more likely that the fickle lady will appear.
- Sometimes your muse doesn't show. But, there's coffee, so you write anyway.
- Self doubt likes to sleep in. If you can sneak in ~1000 words before self-doubt wakes up, you're ahead of the game.
- Twitter can be a kind, warm, and welcoming place. But mostly at 5 am.
- Toddlers also like 5am. Mostly when great ideas strike.
Do you write? What do you write? When do you write?