Thursday, April 28, 2016

What I have learned from from #5amwritersclub

I write. In grade school, I carried around blue notebooks in which I would scribble down notes, conversation, plot lines. In high school, I would pound out dramatic thoughts on our ancient Apple. In college and grad school, late nights found me tinkering with characters and scenes for hours.

Life gets busy.  Three kids, (more than) full time job, marathon training busy. But ideas still come - conversations, characters. images. So I find time. And for me, that time is 5 am. It may sound crazy, but here are some of the things I've learned from months in a twitter group with the hasthag #5amwritersclub

  1. Dragons, jewel heists, and interdimensional graduate students seem less ridiculous at 5 am. 
  2. Scheduling time to meet your muse makes me much more likely that the fickle lady will appear. 
  3. Sometimes your muse doesn't show. But, there's coffee, so you write anyway.
  4. Self doubt likes to sleep in. If you can sneak in ~1000 words before self-doubt wakes up, you're ahead of the game. 
  5. Twitter can be a kind, warm, and welcoming place. But mostly at 5 am. 
  6. Toddlers also like 5am. Mostly when great ideas strike. 
Do you write? What do you write? When do you write?

No comments: